OSHA recently shared preliminary data for its Top 10 list in fiscal year 2023 which ended September 30, 2023. They are listed below in order of most frequently cited:
- Fall Protection – General Requirements (1926.501)
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200)
- Ladders (1926.1053)
- Scaffolding (1926.451)
- Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178)
- Lockout/Tagout (1910.147)
- Respiratory Protection (1910.134)
- Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503)
- Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment – Eye and Face Protection (1926.102)
- Machine Guarding (1910.212)
Each of the standards above saw a significant increase in their total numbers cited and each of them appeared on last year’s last list although the order shifted somewhat as is common from year to year. For the 13th consecutive year, fall protection (general requirements) was the most frequently cited violation.
As employers consider reviewing and strengthening their safety and health practices for 2024, the Top 10 list is always a good place to start such efforts.